Monday 30 June 2014

Julain Garner - MUM is the word...

23:40, 30/06/2014, An Instrumental Sunday (Spotify) playing in the background and here I am sat at our dining room table. Having just kissed my partner goodnight I told him that I missed him. Earlier we had a conversation about how I felt lonely.

Coming up to 4 months since I left my job in the hustle and bustle of London in the vain hope of creating my label, Julian Garner. Since I have left and I run into friends and acquaintances they ask me..."What are you doing now?"

I ask myself that everyday since I decided that a road full of challenge and possible disappoint was the one to take. However a big sacrifice for me now is, I am working alone.
 
There are times that I have found myself talking about my first collection as if I was presenting it to a room of people. If anybody were to see me they would think me mad. I assume that taking this road is rather mad. It's an eye opener and look forward to when my partner gets home or someone calls. I suppose not having distractions, beside me rambling on, is a possible piece to the completion of a vast puzzle.
 
So what have I done? I have set up my studio, shelves went up, although some not straight I did it!
 
I have rebranded my business card...if you see one please pick it up.


I commissioned a very talented artist, Kate Hayton, to make me a sculpture so I can re-shoot the headwear I have created on my website, www.JulianGarner.com. Isn't she beautiful...

 
The headpiece she wears is from the Hat Factor Competition that Grazia magazine held. Phillip Treacy, Stephen Jones, Paula Reed and the Editor of Grazia were present to judge. The feedback I got was overwhelming and inspired me to go on. Thank you.

Multimedia seems to be taking over my life, @TheJulianGarner on Twitter, THEJULIANGARNER on Instagram and Julian Garner Headwear on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/JulianGarnerHeadwear, thank you for the LIKES..I always wish there was a LOVE option. 160 and growing!!!

I have sketched some great ideas, even if I say so myself, some have been bought to life and others are yet to be created. 

I am now added to the Hat Academy Milliners Map. Follow the below link to see...
 
 
At the end of this month I shall be attending the Millinery Summer School at the London College of Fashion. One cannot wait and look forward to meeting new talents and inspiring people as well as been in London. 
 
This of cause would not have happened if it wasn't for a woman that supports my choices and always gives me an honest answer, as well as answering the phone when I am working alone and need a pick up. My Mum...
 
 
A huge thank you Mum, it means the world that you are helping me on a journey that I am glad you will see unfold. Although at times I am sure you think I do not appreciate your efforts but I can guarantee you it's my nerves and pride talking. I will always be grateful and listen to your words of encouragement.
 
I am currently working on a commission for the Goodwood Horse Races for another supporter of Julian Garner. Sue Parham, thank you as always for your encouragement and belief.
 
These are all small steps towards something greater, hopefully one day. For now in my loneliness, I look forward to the day when I have created a monster and can sit in my studio chair in the early hours of the morning, fingers sore, and remind myself why I chose this road. As mentioned in the post, Julian Garner, I will document my journey and I have made a deal with myself as a way to remain grounded whether I fail or succeed that I will start to smell the roses when I spot them.
 
Life is too short to not try, to me not trying makes life seem shorter. 
 These smelt beautiful...
 
 
Keep going...01:28.
 
xoxo 


No comments:

Post a Comment